Waheed Uddin Student Diversity Travel Grants for 2021-22
In memory of Dr. Waheed Uddin, Mississippi TriDurLE site director who passed away in 2020 from COVID, TriDurLE will provide funding up to $750 per award, eight awards per year to undergraduate, graduate or professional students to enhance professional and/or academic goals and benefit diversity through attending in-person or virtual/ online activities and events. Students will be selected based on the quality and completion of the application and resume and how the travel helped to benefit or enhance diversity. Students may apply for funding approval prior to travel, or submit receipts for post-travel reimbursement.
Applications for Travel June 16, 2021 through June 15, 2022
- These funding opportunities are available for undergraduate, graduate and professional students from TriDurLE consortium universities only who are members of a minority group (stated in the application) or who have attended a conference/workshop that benefits diversity.
- All reimbursements will be allocated by TriDurLE and all students who apply are not guaranteed funding
- These travel grants are for reimbursement for registration and travel associated with academic or professional work that benefits diversity, but students can apply for pre-approved funding for travel.
- Grants can be disbursed to eligible student applicants post-travel, or students can apply for pre-travel authorization for funding
- Conference presentations
- Professional/Career development
- All TriDurLE consortium university fee-paying undergraduate, graduate and professional students at the time of application are eligible to apply for a TriDurLE travel grant. Students must be a member of a minority group OR attended a conference that benefits diversity.
- Each student can submit more than one application per travel period or academic year until the applicant reaches the maximum funding cap per travel period or academic year.
- Students are permitted to apply for more than one grant in the same cycle if they attended two events (conferences, workshops, etc.). They may be awarded partially based on available funding per travel period.
Applicants must provide all original receipts (registration costs, travel receipts, etc.) and relevant information regarding travel for post-travel reimbursement
- Registration fees
- Transportation including airfare, shuttle costs, ground transportation, rental car, or personal cars per mileage
- Airport parking
- Any expenses for travel companions will not be reimbursed by TriDurLE
- Meal costs will not be reimbursed
The amount awarded is based on:
- The quality and completeness of the application
- The diversity benefits of the activity
Application Materials for Post-travel Reimbursement
An application is considered complete if the submitted application form includes:
- Stated benefits of the travel for academic/professional development
- Advisor’s confirmation for pre-travel authorization
- Consortium university site director’s confirmation of applicant eligibility
- Attachment of travel receipts.
Tips for applying
- When traveling, keep all original receipts and relevant information regarding your travel (This rule is applicable for 2021-22 travel)
- You will need to scan and upload your receipts in one or two documents to attach to the application; however if you no longer have receipts for travel in 2020-21, TriDurLE allows for an exception of this rule in the application process.
- Students may submit as many applications per application period as they wish.
- Pay attention to the funding cap of $750 when completing more than one application.