Balasingam Muhunthan Diverse Research Experience Scholarship for High School and Undergraduate Students
Applications Close January 31, 2022
About the Program
In memory of former Civil & Environmental Engineering Department Chair Balasingam Muhunthan, the Diverse Research Experience Scholarship will sponsor research by high school and undergraduate students. This scholarship with be granted to 4 high school students and 4 undergraduate students
- Pay: $15/hr for high school students and $20/hr for undergraduate students
- Hours: up to 15 hours per week
- Length of time: up to 25 weeks/year
The goal of this program is to provide high school and undergraduate students an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research at one of the TriDurLE consortium universities listed below. Working closely with faculty and graduate students, participants will gain hands-on experience with transportation engineering projects.
- Alabama A&M University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Florida Atlantic University
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- South Dakota State University
- Tennessee State University
- Texas A&M University
- University of Colorado Denver
- University of Utah
- Washington State University
Who is eligible?
Minority undergraduate student participants must be currently registered at a TriDurLE consortium university and may not have received their bachelor’s degree. Minority students at all levels of their high school work who live near one of the consortium universities listed above are encouraged to apply. Minority groups include:
- African American
- Asian American/Pacific Islander
- Alaskan Native
- Native Hawaiian
- Native American
- Female in the physical sciences, engineering, or mathematics
What you will do
Students will work on current research projects alongside faculty and graduate students at the university.
How to Apply
As part of your ONLINE APPLICATION, applicants must provide the following:
- A Personal Statement (up to 3,000 words)
- Additional experiences that demonstrate an ability to work independently and to be self-motivated.
- What participant hopes to gain by participating in a research program.
- Short- and long-term goals, and how this research experience will help realize them.
- Previous experience in research, if any
- Cumulative GPA
- A PDF copy of academic transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted).
- Two letters of recommendation.
Click on APPLY NOW in the righthand column of this page after assembling your documents.
If electronic transmission of application materials is not possible electronically, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make alternative arrangements.
Ready to Apply? Please have these documents ready to upload:
- Your personal statement (up to 3,000 words)
- Your latest academic transcript
- 2 letters of recommendation